Possibly my crippling clumsiness was seen as endearing rather than pathetic, casting me as a damsel in distress. (Twilight; chapter 3)
Over at Bites, Donna has started a meme about exposing cliches in Young Adult literature. I read a lot of YA lit and I love this kinds of analysis. The first cliche is “The clumsy kid, most likely female and usually endearing to the point of fawning over.” This is a trope that seems more prevalent outside of literature but we can thank Bella Swan for making it part of this discussion (and super-mainstream).
- All teenagers are clumsy. It’s a byproduct of the changes their bodies are going through.
- High school is a scary place and I agree with the post that someone who is truly accident prone is more likely to be made fun of than considered adorable.
- But if someone is attracted to another someone and that someone is clumsy the first someone could find that clumsiness endearing.
- Bella has a point about the damsel in distress bit. People do respond to that, I know this from personal experience.
- I was a clumsy girl in high school and college. You know that other cliche about trained dancers being super clumsy when they are not dancing? Cliches have some truth to them folks!